Cauliflower Upma|Keto Upma recipe is made with cauliflower rice and few vegetables which are a delicious, low carb, gluten-free, vegetarian keto breakfast dish that can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
Today I am sharing a Keto version of upma made with cauliflower rice. As we all know cauliflower is a low-carb vegetable and go-to solution for vegetarian keto recipes.
This Healthy Cauliflower Upma is 40% lower in carbs, 25% lower in calories, and more nutrients than the traditional semolina upma version.
I tried this upma a few days back for breakfast, trust me the taste and texture is no less than traditional upma.
Everyone in my family loved it and if you love to eat vegetables, try this healthy cauliflower upma, which has only vegetables in it. I also love Coconut Cauliflower Rice for my lunch.
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1.5 cups mix vegetables (carrot, green beans ,green peas)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- a pinch of asafetida (hing)
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- Firstly separate cauliflower into florets and stalks.Wash thoroughly.Mince or grate florets with the help of grater or food processor to resemble fine rice or semolina.
What is Upma?
Traditional Upma is a breakfast dish common in South India, Maharashtra, and Sri Lanka. Upma is a thick, porridge-like breakfast dish that is made from coarse semolina that has been dry-roasted.
This Cauliflower Rice Upma
- is healthy and delicious
- is paleo, vegan, keto, gluten-free, and low carb
- requires just a few minutes of prep work and is cooked in less than 20 minutes
- Good lunch box and breakfast option
How to Make Cauliflower Upma
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Firstly, separate cauliflower into florets and stalks.Wash thoroughly.
Mince or grate florets with the help of a grater or food processor to resemble fine rice or semolina.
To Prepare Cauliflower Upma
Firstly, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a Kadai. Then, add mustard seeds, let them splutter. Add urad dal and cashews and saute till they turn light brown in color. For Keto skip urad dal and cashews.
Add curry leaves, ginger, green chili and hing. Saute for another 30-40 seconds.
Next add the onions and cook till the onions become soft.
Then add the mix vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes. Now add cauliflower rice, salt, mix well.
Then cover with a lid and cook on medium-low heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in between and turn off the flame.
I have not added extra water in this recipe, but if you like upma to be soft and porridge consistency adds little water and cook.
Once the cauliflower is cooked, remove from heat and garnish with coriander, lime juice, and grated coconut, mix well and serve hot.
Healthy Cauliflower Upma recipe is Ready & serve hot with greek yogurt or coconut chutney.
What to serve with Cauliflower Upma?
Cauliflower Upma can be served with yogurt or coconut chutney. If you dont prefer sides then it can be eaten as it is.
Tips & Variations
- You can also add more vegetables of your choice.
- Cauliflower rice is easily available in the frozen section in Costco or Walmart and other supermarkets. I mostly prepare cauliflower rice at home and refrigerate it for 2-3 days.
- You can also add roasted peanuts.
- Can also use ghee or olive oil instead of coconut oil for this recipe.
- You can also skip carrots and peas if you are on Keto Diet.
Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.