Spinach or Palak Ka Raita is an easy and healthy raita recipe made with yogurt (curd), cooked spinach, and some spices. Can be served with Vegetable Pulao, Veg Biryani or eaten as it is. Low Carb and Kids friendly.
If you are making this for your kid, you can saute and puree the spinach and then add it to yogurt. They will love the green color and will not realize there is some spinach in that.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 cups yogurt (curd)
- 2 cups palak (spinach) finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin (jeera) powder
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 dry red chilli
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
How to make Palak Raita
Firstly, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a Kadai. Add cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
Add chopped spinach, salt and saute for 2-3 minutes till the spinach leaves are wilt or cooked well. Cool the mixture and then before adding to the yogurt.
Whisk the yogurt or curd in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed spinach mixture to the yogurt.
Then add the spices like roasted cumin powder, black salt, pepper, and salt. Mix well. Taste at this stage to make sure the amount of salt and spices is enough.
Prepare the tempering, Heat 1 teaspoon of oil, once hot add mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves, let them crackle for few seconds, this step is optional.
Pour tempering over the palak ka raita. Palak Raita is ready, Serve chilled.
What can we serve with Spinach Raita?
You can serve parathas, curries, or lentils. This healthy palak raita also goes well with Biryanis and Pulao. They taste divine together.
Tips & Variations
- Adding milk to the yogurt helps it from turning sour. If you are using fresh yogurt then skip it.
- Make sure to saute or steam spinach, because raw spinach doesn’t taste great with this raita. You can also saute green chilies with spinach. Grated carrots can also be added to this spinach raita.
- You can also add finely chopped mint(pudina) or coriander leaves.
- If the palak raita becomes too thick add more milk.
- To make this easy palak ka raita recipe Keto-friendly, Use Greek Yogurt.