Red Coconut Chutney is an authentic south indian spicy chutney made with grated coconut and red chillies. It is an ideal spicy condiment, typically served with south indian breakfast dishes like idli and dosa.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
For the Chutney
- ½ cup Fresh coconut grated
- 3 Dry red chillies
- little Tamarind
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Gram Dal/putani
- ½ inch Ginger
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ cup water for grinding
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon White Urad Dal Split
- pinch of hing/asafoetida
- In a blender/mixer-grinder, add coconut,red chillies, ginger, roasted gram dal,tamarind,curry leaves and salt.
- Close the lid of the jar and blend them together using a little water at a time, until you get a smooth chutney of the desired consistency.
- In a small tadka pan.add oil, When it is slightly warm, add mustard seeds, hing and urad dal and fry until light golden, on a low flame.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared chutney.
- Mix well and serve the Red Coconut Chutney with dosa , idli.